Sunday, July 13, 2008

FIRST Marathon Training Program

For the 2008 NYC Marathon, we have decided to train using the FIRST (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) Marathon Training Program.

I (Natalie) decided to try FIRST when I trained for the 2005 Chicago Marathon. There were many reasons I wanted to try the FIRST program. First and foremost, I wanted to pay tribute to my alma mater and some of my undergraduate professors (Bill Pierce) who developed the method. Secondly, I liked the idea of running with purpose 3-4 times a week instead of running every day. I found that I just don't love running enough to be doing it every day. With FIRST, I was able to engage in other forms of physical activity instead of running 6 days a week, which allowed me to stay motivated for my runs. Finally, I liked that the FIRST program allows my body to take a break from all of the pounding that I feel from running. I could spin, swim, and even play tennis.

I have trained for 3 marathons using FIRST and I will never use another program. I found it to be effective (increasing my running pace) and most importantly a great way for me to stay motivated and injury free.

The FIRST program has gained a lot of popularity through Runner's World, but I have become the unofficial spokesperson among all my friends and family. I have run the last few marathons with friends and both of my sisters and I have convinced each person to use FIRST program. This marathon is no different.....

No comments: